2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup liquid sweetener of choice
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
2 eggs, large organic
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8” or 9” cake pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl combine the wet ingredients Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until thoroughly combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared cake pan.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool on cooling rack.
4. Serve iced or leave plain and dollop a scoop of ice cream on top (okay, this just plain makes it decadent). You could also serve with a lovely raspberry sauce or another fruit sauce.
Sweetener Choices: varied; mostly based on preference
Choice should be equivalent to 1/2 c of “sugar”.
- 1 tbsp green leaf stevia (purchase from Light Cellar in Bowness)
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
- 1/4 c liquid bacon (purchase from Light Cellar in Bowness)
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- 1/2 c. liquid agave
Recipe Adapted from Gluten-Free Almond Cookbook
Serving Size: 8
Yield: 1 layer cake