Some say a hearty vegetable soup is the secret to their weight-loss success. It’s a great lunch with some protein, midday snack or dinner appetizer.
2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
2 medium carrot(s), diced
2 small zucchini, diced
2 cup(s) savoy cabbage, or other variety, shredded
2 cup(s) Swiss chard, kale or spinach, chopped
2 cup(s) cauliflower, small florets
2 cup(s) broccoli, small florets
1 onion(s), diced
1 sweet red pepper(s), diced
1 rib celery, diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
6 cup(s) reduced sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, or chives, fresh, chopped
sea salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, optional
- Put garlic, vegetables, thyme and broth into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partly covered, about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- If you like thick soups, consider pureeing this recipe or even a portion of the soup in the pot with an immersion blender .
- Make the recipe your own by adding or leaving out vegetables to suit your taste.
- Save time by using frozen vegetables, instead of fresh ones. You can also buy small amounts of pre-cut vegetables in your grocery store’s produce section.
Serving Size: 12 (1 serving is about 1 cup — 1 vegetable portion or 1 carb portion)